Software as a service (SaaS) is a cloud computing offering that provides users with access to a vendor’s cloud-based software. Users do not install applications on their local devices. Instead, the applications reside on a remote cloud network accessed through the web or an API. Through the application, users can store and analyze data and collaborate on projects.
- SaaS vendors provide users with software and applications via a subscription model.
- Users do not have to manage, install or upgrade software; SaaS providers manage this.
- Data is secure in the cloud; equipment failure does not result in loss of data.
- Use of resources can be scaled depending on service needs.
- Applications are accessible from almost any internet-connected device, from virtually anywhere in the world.
Platform as a service (PaaS) is a cloud computing offering that provides users with a cloud environment in which they can develop, manage and deliver applications. In addition to storage and other computing resources, users are able to use a suite of prebuilt tools to develop, customize and test their own applications.
- PaaS provides a platform with tools to test, develop and host applications in the same environment.
- Enables organizations to focus on development without having to worry about underlying infrastructure.
- Providers manage security, operating systems, server software and backups.
- Facilitates collaborative work even if teams work remotely.
Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) is a cloud-computing offering in which a vendor provides users access to computing resources such as servers, storage and networking. Organizations use their own platforms and applications within a service provider’s infrastructure.
- Instead of purchasing hardware outright, users pay for IaaS on demand.
- Infrastructure is scalable depending on processing and storage needs.
- Saves enterprises the costs of buying and maintaining their own hardware.
- Because data is on the cloud, there can be no single point of failure.
- Enables the virtualization of administrative tasks, freeing up time for other work.